Lesson Title: A New Student in Class
Grade Levels: K-2
Length of Lesson: 60 minutes
Overview: Following and creating directions are a precursor to algorithms and are a fundamental skill of computational thinking. In this activity, students create a poster detailing directions of a classroom task or procedure to help a new student adjust to their class.
Activity: Students create a classroom poster that details the directions for a classroom task or procedure.
English Language Arts
- Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
- Build on others’ talk in conversations by linking their comments to the remarks of others.
Social and Emotional Learning
- Share reasons why they follow classroom/school rules (their own safety, the safety of others, reducing chance of damaging property, etc.)
- Identify classroom, school, and community needs. • Effectively and appropriately communicate needs, wants, and ideas in a respectful manner.
- Model daily processes by creating and following algorithms (sets of step-by-step instructions) to complete tasks.